Scribble Koopa is an A Koopa’s Revenge series spinoff title I developed in tandem with A Koopa’s Revenge 2 during the early days of AKR2’s development. It was my answer to Paper Mario and featured similar gameplay. The art was mouse drawn in a scribbled almost child-like lazy style.
I eventually canceled it to devote more time to AKR2 and other projects. I had set out to make my own Paper Mario like game, but once I had a basic engine, I didn’t have much more reason to keep going. I’m just not that into RPGs. Like the Alpha version of AKR2 it wasn’t far along enough to have it’s own music, so I used a few songs from AKR1’s soundtrack this time around. This is also the entirety of the game.
Moved the original Shy Guy Reveal Trailer from the old MCSM Studios facebook page to the new Lambta.co one. It’s a facebook exclusive, so if you want to give it a gander, check us out on facebook.
I’m probably going to remove the old MCSM Studios facebook page. It’s still getting like and such. And it’s pulling attention away from our new page. Which admittedly is just me reposting all the videos from youtube. I don’t know what I’m doing with the facebook page,but give us a like anyway?
AKR2 version 1.12 is out. It’s a bug fix release, so it’s not a huge deal. The one big fix is to the cut scenes that play on the main menu. They were replaying the same one over and over, instead of cycling through. I also managed to lower the filesize while maintaining audio quality. So if you’re hosting the game, head over to the Share Our Games Page to pick up the latest version.
And if I broke anything in the game, please let me know as soon as possible. Many small things were changed and dome large things may have been affected in the process.
I’ll now be starting on version 1.2, which is a more major update. There’ll be new animations and changes to some mechanics. I’m also taking suggestions, so if you have an idea of how to improve the game leave a comment to let me know. Keep in mind though, that I’m only going to be making reasonably sized changes for a game that’s essentially done. I most likely won’t be adding whole new levels or powerups.
EDIT: I forgot to mention. I changed Burgerstein’s sliders so you kick them on contact like Baby Marios. They can’t hurt you any more and you usually kick them into your own hands. Should make the fight more manageable.
My longest video yet at seventeen minutes. It shows off the little shortcut warps in every level that get you to the end as fast as possible. Might be useful for speedrunning or just getting through a level that’s giving you trouble. There are a few spoilers beyond what the video title implies, but it’s impossible to miss them when using the shortcuts.
This is also the first video I made using Bandicam. It looks a bit jpeggy at times, but it’s mostly in the background and it’s not noticeable if you’re not looking for it. I’ll be playing with the settings. I did experience a bit of control lag though. I didn’t get that with my old methods. It’s not so bad after a while, but you may notice me slipping around a bit in the video. The sound captures 4 frames (30fps) lout of sync, but that’s easily fixed because it’s a consistent delay. I’m probably going to stick with this setup because it doesn’t require the videos be processed like my old setup.
I finally got AKR2 to export properly on my new computer! Previously I had to do all work for the game on my old desktop setup from 2007, as the game wouldn’t export with the music on my new expensive 2014 laptop. This is a big breakthrough, and I’ll be able to work on the game without it being a huge hassle now.
This here post will be my first real devblag. Short for development web log. From time to time, I’ll be describing the development process for the games I’m making.
I read this article, which someone tweeted, can’t remember who. (By the way, follow me on twitter. I swear, eventually I’ll figure out what I’m supposed to do with it.) It’s a cool article, and if you’re into game development, specifically 2D sidescrollers, you should really check it out. It’s convinced me to redo the camera for AVGN:TitNES (which really needs a shorter initialism)